Our Core Objectives - OPM
OUR CORE OBJECTIVES
Specifically the Department of Public Service I. T. Management is called upon:
- Provision of technical advice on the general direction and policy guidance concerning the planning, development, implementation and maintenance of computerization programs in the Public Service.
- To provide service concerning the development and maintenance of up-to-date and viable computer information systems based on both political and administration matters. Such an information base is needed to facilitate the processes of policy formulation and implementation of programmes within the Office of the Prime Minister and the Public Service as a whole;
- To provide operational data Services; develop and maintain systems; investigate Offices/Ministries/Agencies (O/M/As) computer related needs; recommends appropriate systems; controls the acquisition of hardware and software in the entire Public Service through Tender Board; draw up hardware/software specifications for the invitation of tenders and evaluates delivered goods and services;
- To render technical advice on the general direction and offer policy guidance concerning the planning, development, implementation and maintenance of computerization programs in the Public Service;
- To promote the rational development of Information Technology and the application of computers and computer related equipment in the Public Service;
- To ensure a balanced, effective and more efficient control and co-ordination of computer systems. It essentially means centralised controlling of the acquisition of hardware, software and computer consultancy services. It further entails the determination of professional standards and guidelines regarding systems development projects and the acquisition of hardware, software and consulting services.
- To assist with the development of computerised systems in the Public Service. This entails the planning, designing, implementation and maintenance of computerised systems.
- To ensure an effective use of hardware and software support and operating service. This function entails the Intranet/Internet Network Gateway as a single communication channel that requires constant hardware and software support. It further involves the important aspects of communication speed and networking availability for use by external users that need to log-on to the GRNNet.
- To render an auxiliary function and manage information technology resources. This function entails a broad assistance function (technical and administrative) to serve the whole Department.